Aug 5, 2010

Cancun

Shortly after we were married, Grandma and Grandpa Jeffs took the whole extended family to Cancun, Mexico. Andrew and I hadn't even been married a whole month. We drove to the airport with Tausha and Danny in the snow. As soon as we parked I decided that I was going to be sick, in the parking lot. Let me just say, being that sick in front of your husband of less than a month, not awesome. But I was fine as soon as I got it out of my system. It was a long flight to Cancun, and then a long drive to our resort. And Mexico drivers are so crazy. We stayed in a resort called Riviera Maya. It was beautiful. They had these awesome strawberry slushies that I ate multiples of everyday. In the rooms there were huge showers and huge bathtubs. And when you left the room your key card would turn off everything electric. Tausha, Danny, my family (Mom, Dad, Cory, Brenna, and Mark), Andrew, and I all went on a catamaran ride to the Isle de Mujeres. There was This Russian guy on the boat that was so drunk before we even started, and continued ordering drink after drink. He was sinking and dancing to Queen songs, and kept trying to kiss my mom. He passed out before we even got to the island. We went snorkeling off the boat. Some little fish tried to eat Tausha. We saw some barracudas, and they were awesome. They looked exactly like the ones in Finding Nemo. I was the first one to go on the spinnaker off the boat. I got so high, and I was so scared. So everyone on the boat was drinking except our family, so when dad ordered a coke, he got coke with rum. I tasted it and it was awful. It tasted like nasty cough syrup and dirt. I am so glad I am not an alcoholic. One day we went down into the touristy part of the city. It is fun to barter for things. "Only three dollars, cheaper than Walmart." Was probably my favorite thing they said. We also ate Subway for lunch there. It was way more expensive then here in Utah. Another day we went to Chichen Itza. It was so cool, all the ruins, and their culture. I also bartered a hammock from $30 to $14. Another day we just hung out at the beach. We were playing in the kayaks. Brenna and I took a turn, but we didn't think that through as well as we could. We put the two weakest people into the kayak. Well we couldn't get past the waves, and the waves kept pushing us back to shore. One wave really caught us and slammed us into an anchored boat. Brenna was able to jump out of the way, but I got some awesome rope burn on my back from trying to duck under the rope the boat was anchored with. Probably the closest to death experience I have had yet. A couple people were complaining about the food, "Why is there only Mexican food?" Well, we are in Mexico aren't we? Oh yeah and the big scandal down there, I wore a bikini. I got some awesome reactions. You know I am just going to keep wearing them until people decide they aren't that big of a deal. When we got back from Cancun, there were quite a few inches of snow on the ground. Talk about a weather shock.   - H

1 comment: